Christmas is a very busy time for us all. There is a reason it is known as the ‘silly season’. We are busy rushing to and fro, buying presents, wrapping presents, putting presents under the tree, cooking meals, cleaning both house and yard, having and going to parties. And that is before the big day!
In all the fuss, we can sometimes forget that these changes can affect our pets too.
When the Christmas Tree goes up, remember, a lot of your decorations hang down! And what a temptation they are for your dog and cat! Not only can they get caught in the dangly bits, but they may pull the tree over.
The Christmas Presents that go under the tree may also be a danger: the wrapping could be harmful, but worse, whats inside could be toxic.
Christmas Lights both on the tree and elsewhere: a dangly choking hazard, but worse, they are attached to a 240volt transformer.
Decorative Christmas Plants: some can be very poisonous, such as lilies and cyclamen. Be aware.
Christmas Dinner and Cake: Christmas cake is a no no (sultanas, currants, raisins just to name a few ingredients), as are many Christmas goodies as they have many highly poisonous ingredients in them, such as grapes, nuts, avocado, chocolate. Don’t be tempted to to share cooked bones, or even some ham (cured meat) as they can cause some serious intestinal problems. Instead, visit Well Fed Pets for our healthy, natural treats for your pets’ own Christmas treat.
We need to remember, not just for ourselves, but for our animals, is how dangerous the heat can be in the wrong circumstances.
Here is a quick overview of what to watch out for:
Sunburn:especially in pets with white, non-pigmented skin and white–coloured coat.Zinc cream can help
Utes: Dogs in the ute trays can burn their footpads and need shade to prevent heatstroke.
Small Pets Suffer heat stroke easily if are in cages and hutches and can’t to move to a cooler, shady spot.Fish need shade also.
Heatstroke happens when the heat generated by the body is greater than the body’s ability to lose heat. Heatstroke is very serious and can be fatal.
You can help your pet by providing shade, clean fresh water that can’t be spilled, frozen ice treats such as an ice block in the water, a frozen Kong, or homemade ice treats. Daily brushing to help shed their coats, or clipping long haired animals helps in the heat…looks are not as important as health. even a wading pool or a doggy/cat door can help.
Never Exercise in extreme heat, in the hottest part of the day or on hot bitumen or cement. Stay alert for signs of stress and give regular drinks and rests.
DO NOT leave your pet in a vehicle! Even with the windows down animals can still overheat and die. Most cars can reach up 55*C in only SIX minutes. At this temperature, if your pet is in the car, it would be suffering, and very near a painful death.
We need to stay vigilant for the nasty biters and stingers this Christmas season.
Ticks and Paralysis Tick
The only true preventative is daily checking your animal for ticks, looking for a pimply bump.
A trip to the vet is then imperative.
Using preventatives such as spray, washing and spotons help,and necessary, but nothing is certain with ticks.
It helps if you keep your grass short and deter possums from your backyard.
As the weather warms, snakes become more active.
Again, keep your grass short and clear away anywhere they may hide.
Act quickly if you think your pet has been bitten, symptoms similar to paralysis tick or large swellings at the bite.
Wasps and Bees
Usually a problem for inquisitive puppies who don’t know any better and get bitten on the face.
Apply cold compresses to the swellings. If they don’t go down, or there are breathing problems, a trip to the vet is then necessary.
Well Fed Pets wishes you, your family and your pets a very wonderful and safe Christmas and New Year.